Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Egg Shell Planter

I wanted to try a new experiment making planter for seedlings using egg shells.

First I saved my breakfast eggs and only cut off the very top of egg.
Once I had 12 I made 2 small holes in the bottom of each washed and dry egg shell.
then I filed each one with a good potting soil mix and placed back in a egg carton tray.

I added the seeds, In this case Coriander / Cilantro and lightly watered.
I placed the carton with eggshells in a tray and filled with water so it could self wick and keep moist.

Watch my video to see the process.

Search eBay for Coriander / Cilantro seeds

The Coriander / Cilantro in egg carton now ready to plant

Ready to be planted in my balcony garden

Crush the shell before planting

The egg shell seedling planted in garden

7 comments:

  1. This would be a great way to start off some tomatoes. A little extra calcium right from the get go! Will be trying this with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really superb idea! I will absolutely be starting seeds in my egg shells. I usually just toss them in my compost pile or among the garden plants. Now, I have a question for you. I watched you video on the drip vertical garden using plastic bottles. I'm really big on reducing the amount of plastic I bring into my life. But what concerns me about growing food in plastic bottles is that heat and stress, both would be present when growing food, is that BPA is leaching into the soil, and being consumed by the plant. Have you tried anything similar with glass bottles? It would require different tools of course, but would really like to see what you come up with. So glad I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I'll definitely be trying this for my window garden later this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant. Found more than a few good ideas from your blog. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it... going to put this up on my blog yea! You have tons of great stuff to lear. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're trying to burn fat then you absolutely have to start using this totally brand new custom keto meal plan.

    To create this keto diet service, licensed nutritionists, fitness couches, and professional cooks have united to develop keto meal plans that are useful, painless, money-efficient, and delightful.

    Since their grand opening in early 2019, thousands of people have already transformed their body and well-being with the benefits a smart keto meal plan can give.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-proven ones given by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete